Personal goal setting isn’t easy as we can’t predict our future. Even the greatest scientist or the most successful businessman has no idea what the future has to offer likewise. The future is something that most of us are either afraid of, excited for, or some combination of the two. Some are too stressed to work on it, some are too tranquil to worry about it also. Either way, the future is coming and its quality depends on what we do now for instance. Let’s look at a few ways to use goal-setting to plan for your future also.
Three Kinds of “Future”
1. Probable Future
This is the kind of future you’ll have when you do the same things, think the same thoughts, spend time with the same people and stay where you are right now.
2. Possible Future
This includes the vast possibilities life can offer. Some of them may not be known at the moment and can be both frightening and exciting.
3. Preferable Future
Considering all the possibilities, this future is based on your choice also.
Working on the future you desire, this set of questions can be of great help:
1. If you could change one thing in your life right now, what would it be? From hair color to changing jobs, it doesn’t matter if it’s achievable or impossible, the important thing is your “will to change” for instance.
2. What is that “something” you have always wanted to do? What is your lifelong ambition? Something that you wanted to do for a long time also?
3. What are your passions? What lights the fire in your heart? Something that makes you excited likewise?
4. How would you describe yourself? What do other people say about you for instance?
List down three answers to each question and compare them.
Achieve the future of your dreams
In the process of achieving the future of your dreams, answering these broad questions can be the first step:
- What would you like to be?
- What would you like to do?
- And What would you like to have?
Planning is also important
In this aspect, goal setting is essential. If you are clear about your goals, the possibility of achieving them will increase certainly.
Here are some points to consider:
- Write them in a positive
- Believe you can achieve them. Goals need to be challenging, yet possible.
- Be in control of your own goals. Don’t set goals in accordance with other people for instance.
- Be specific and detailed. Use all your senses when you set your goals.
Life is comparable to a ship. People can choose what kind of ship they want to sail. It can be just a small, tatty rowing boat or an ocean-going, super deluxe yacht. The steering wheel is in our own hands, too. Our destination is dependent on the direction we choose also.